That’s when she meets Keela, who makes Blue feel safe enough to reveal her true nature. Together they soar off into the sky, “twirl[ing] through tons of sparkly shooting stars and wing[ing] over the man in the moon.” Their bond may be the crux of the story, but there’s also much more going on. Blue gets flying lessons from a blue jay, trades insults with a gang of donkeys, and learns magic from a plucky illusionist named Lieutenant Luk. Titus has packed a lot into such a short tale, which is exciting but at times makes some aspects feel rushed.
Throughout the story, colorful and stylized illustrations show Blue interacting with people and magical beings while she spreads her glittering wings in front of mountains, waterfalls, and a starry sky. The fun doesn’t stop with the last page, either–Titus has included a glossary of “Celtic Lore & Legend,” interesting recipes like “Evergreen Tea,” and detailed information about different horse breeds and their temperaments. School-aged children will find the extras at the end absorbing—and possibly a bit overwhelming—but the most dazzling part of the story is the relationship between Blue and Keela, which will give kids the chance to recognize the qualities they appreciate in their own friends.
Takeaway: A charming fantasy adventure where a unicorn named Blue is on a mission to learn the true meaning of friendship.
Great for fans of: Maddy Mara’s Dragon Girls series, Dan Santat’s The Adventures of Beekle.
Design and typography: B
Marketing copy: B
1. Mom of young children, "My 7yr old's favorite part was the maps...we spent an hour reading them!"
2. Mom of young children, "Is your book available in print? I love it!"
3. Aunt of young girl, "Thank you for sharing! This is on my list for my niece!
4. Grandma of young children, "I want two copies for my grandchildren!"
5. Facebook Mom Influencer, "This is cool! Awesome illustrations!"
6. Bookstore Owner, "Beautifully illustrated and keenly told American Tall Tale to enjoy by the light of a campfire."
7. Added to Los Altos Elementary School and Children's Library Collections.
8. Nominated for a Triple Crown Wholesome Book for Today's Kids Award.
9 Added to the Harding University Library Collection.
10. Dubbed as Bildungsroman Genre, "Educational & Philosophical Value" by Harding University
11. Mom of young children, "My 3yr old has been running around with the book asking everyone to read it!"
12. Mom of young children, "The book just came in the mail, the kids were so excited!! It's just beautiful!!"
13. Mom of young children, "Find the Unicorn we were Meant to be...Love It! Have to buy it!